Career Center Open House on East

Photo By Katie Gilfillan

Written By Katie Gilfillan

The Career Center located on Valencia East Campus held an open house on Thursday for students looking for information about internships, transfer plans, creating a strong job resume and mastering job interview skills.

During the open house, students could stop by tables and ask questions about what each service has to offer and play career-based games to win prizes. This year marks four years of this event at East Campus.

“A lot of students come in and they’re talking one-on-one with career advisors,” Cindy Oakley, Coordinator of Career Development said. “They’re sitting down in a relaxed setting and they can ask for questions.”

Students have found this open house to be beneficial to their future career choices. It has helped students who are unsure of how to approach their career field properly.

“It’s a good way to connect with all the departments in one place,” said Kalyn Gaines, 18, Marketing major. “It also gets you talking about what you want to do, even if you are undecided or you are decided.”

The Career Center is open to all student’s seeking assistance with career and degree related topics and goals. Student’s have the choice of either making an appointment with an advisor or walking in during operation hours.

“It’s nice to have a place with a positive association with the Career Center,” said Oakley. “When student’s come back, it’s not intimidating, and you’ll see it’s a friendly atmosphere and that we enjoy talking with students.”