Movie Review: 2023 Coppola’s ‘Priscilla’ Paints Elvis As ‘Devil In Disguise’

Pictured: An old Elvis Presley vinyl that you can still find in record stores despite how long ago his fame was. However, key details about who Elvis was apart from his legacy were not revealed until his wife Priscilla spoke out. Even then, his legacy still flourishes. (Unsplash CC0.0)

Elvis Presley once said in his 1963 song that “(You’re The) Devil In Disguise.” Maybe the “devil in disguise” he was referring to was him all along?

The 2023 movie “Priscilla” follows the harrowing story of famous rockstar Elvis Presley and his relationship with his wife, Priscilla Presley. Released October 27, 2023, it can still be seen in a theater near you.

“Priscilla”, directed by Sofia Coppola and distributed by A24 Films, was the movie adaption of the 1985 book “Elvis and Me.” According to  Blackstone Publishing, “this New York Times bestseller reveals the intimate story of Elvis and Priscilla Presley, told by the woman who lived it.”

Sofia Coppola is described by movie review website Rotten Tomatoes as a “member of a filmmaking dynasty that includes such heavy-hitters as father Francis Ford Coppola, Cousin Nicolas Cage and various other Hollywood luminaries.” According to her IMDb, she has directed many movies, but two of her most notable films are 1999’s “The Virgin Suicides” and 2003’s “Lost in Translation”. In fact, “Lost in Translation” was such a hit film that “she became the first American woman to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Director,” according to Notable Biographies.

So, how does the public feel about the movie?

Olivia Davis, 20, Criminal Justice at University of Central Florida, is a big fan of Sofia Coppola’s work. “One of my all-time favorite movies is ‘The Virgin Suicides’, but ‘Priscilla’ was a phenomenal movie as well,” said Davis. Davis also added that Priscilla might be a movie to avoid for now if you’re just now getting into Coppola’s work. “The movie was good, but it’s not a good starting point for someone who’s never watched any of Coppola’s previous films. Before watching Priscilla, I’d recommend watching some of her older films first,” said Davis.

However, there were some “Priscilla” moviegoers that were unfamiliar with Coppola’s previous work. Jayda Wetherington, 19, General Studies, has never watched any of Coppola’s work, and she thought the movie was good. “I’ve heard of Sofia Coppola, but I never watched any of her movies until now. The only reason I watched ‘Priscilla’ was because I saw people talking about it all over social media,” said Wetherington. Wetherington said she would describe this movie as “quiet, yet loud”.

“This movie was heartbreaking. Everything was conveyed so quietly, but the abuse and manipulation Priscilla went through was portrayed very loudly,” said Wetherington.

Lastly, there were some viewers who weren’t big fans of the movie. Elizabeth Sanchez, 20, Nursing, felt that the movie did not meet her expectations. “It wasn’t a terrible movie, but I thought it was going to be better. I feel like her film-making style isn’t one that I particularly understand, so that’s probably why I wasn’t the biggest fan,” said Sanchez.

Coppola’s “Priscilla” has some mixed reviews, but it is still a must watch. Especially for those who
are fans of Elvis Presley. It reveals the horrors that Priscilla Presley lived through and the immaturity of a man that was so loved by the world. It is a love story that went unnoticed for many years.