Saints stun Knights 7-4 to even up opening series at one.

ORLANDO – Eric Skoglund walked four batters and allowed three runs in the first inning as the University of Central Florida Knights were defeated by the Siena Saints 7-4 on Saturday, Feb. 16 at Jay Bergman Field.

Skoglund finished the night allowing six runs, three of which were earned on four hits, while walking four and striking out one in four innings of work.

Chris Taladay contributed to the UCF offense with his three hit night which included two walks and one RBI. All three of Taladay’s hits were doubles and with his 3-for-3 night he improved his batting average to .875 for the season.

“There were some guys that did have some good at bats even though it may not have shown in the statistic line,” said UCF head coach Terry Rooney. “But obviously Chris Taladay continues to swing the bat very well.”

UCF entered the bottom of the first inning trailing 3-0 following a top of the first that saw UCF starting pitcher Eric Skoglund walk back-to-back batters to open the game.

The Knights cut Siena’s lead to 3-2 in the bottom of the third when JoMarcos Woods got on base with a single to open the inning and then stole his first base of the season. Chris Taladay then got UCF on the board with his one out RBI double. Jeramy Matos gave the Knights their second run of the game when he hit a sac fly to deep center field.

“We had the opportunity to get the big hit,” said Rooney. “And today I don’t think we got any two out clutch hits, they got a couple big ones.”

Siena got back the runs in the top of the fourth when the Saints scored on back-to-back two out singles putting Siena up 6-2.

“Siena to their credit they played better,” said Rooney. “They got big two out hits, they took advantage of the opportunity that was made.”

After UCF cut Siena’s lead to 6-3, Vincent Citro hit a homerun to give the Saints a 7-3 lead in the eighth.

The Knights attempted a rally in the ninth inning when he scored on Jeramy Matos first hit of the season, but it wasn’t enough as UCF fell to Siena 7-4.

“We didn’t do the fundamental aspects of the game of baseball,” said Rooney. “And really in everything, in every regard of the game, whether it’s pitching, or baserunning, or defense.”

“It doesn’t matter whether it’s the second game of the year or the 55th game of the year,” added Rooney. “In order to be successful you need to have to play the fundamentals.”

With the loss UCF’s record falls to 1-1 for the season. The rubber match between these two teams will be played Sunday, Feb. 17 at 1:00 p.m. at Jay Bergman Field.