UCF raises tuition again

State legislatures are at it again. The University of Central Florida has hit students with another increase in tuition.

The maximum increase public universities can ask for is 15 percent, and although it seemed like the board of governors was not thrilled about handing over the maximum amount, they did.

Over the past decade legislation has cut about 300 million dollars from university budgets. UCF was prepared to cut back on the number of classes and some of the various study groups they offer in order to make up for the deficit. Rather than reduce the quality of the education students receive from the school, they asked for an increase in tuition.

The University of Central Florida was not the only school to increase their tuition. Each public university in the state has been granted between 10 and 15 percent raises. This means each credit hour will cost about $20 more, about $60 per course.

Financial aid is widespread now, but that doesn’t mean school comes free for these students. Lauren D’Ottavio, a current political science major at UCF, said, “I receive financial aid, but what I get now doesn’t cover all my classes. This extra money isn’t easy to come up with.”

Many like to joke about the “five year plan,” which is when a college student leisurely uses another year to complete the four-year degree. Soon this will be no joke; with the tuition increase many students are pressed to take fewer classes each semester.

The enrollment process is already backed up at the university. As fewer students graduate and more want to enroll, population on campus has become crowded. UCF celebrated their highest student body count, reaching 60,000 students this past September.

It would be much more conventional if the state boards would stop making such huge cuts on school budgets. Our future depends on today’s college students, and they need to be well-educated and prepared.