Blood Donations Critically Low

Walk-ins are welcome to donate blood on the Big Red Bus on Valencia’s East Campus

OneBlood’s Big Red Bus is on the Valencia East Campus and they are seeking blood donors.

It’s #NationalBloodDonorMonth, but according to Roberto Rodriguez, team lead and phlebotomist for OneBlood’s Big Red Bus, donors have been reluctant to give blood during the pandemic and especially during the Omicron variant surge.  As a result, the nationwide blood shortage is critical.

“Hospitals normally have a two week supply of blood.  They currently have a day and a half,” Roberto Rodriquez, team lead and phlebotomist for OneBlood’s Big Red Bus said.

“Hospitals normally have a two week supply of blood.  They currently have a day and a half.

— Roberto Rodriguez, OneBlood

Rodriguez added, “We are collecting two units of red cells that are going to be processed right here, so it’s almost ready to go to the hospitals.  It’s most likely going to be there by tonight or if not, tomorrow morning, and by tomorrow it will be inside a patient.”

Roberto Rodriguez, OneBlood team lead and phlebotomist, collects blood donations.

The Big Red Bus will be on the Valencia East Campus today and Wednesday from 10am-4pm.  Donors will receive a coupon for a free Dunkin coffee, a $20 gift card, and a free t-shirt.  Scheduling an appointment is preferred, but walk-ins are welcome.  Masks are required.  The entire process takes between 30-45 minutes.