Orlando City falls to Toronto at home

The Orlando City Lions’ two-game home winning streak came to an end on Saturday when the team was defeated 2-0 by Toronto FC.

“Obviously, not what we were hoping for or looking for,” said Orlando’s City Head Coach James O’Connor. “I think first half we seemed to do a decent enough job of limiting them. I think our expectation was the second half to have something similar where we could go and create some similar chances.”

Orlando City started with a 4-3-3 formation – Nani, Dom Dwyer, and Tesho Akindele were the three attackers for the Lions.

Both teams were able to create a lot of scoring opportunities at the beginning of the game, although Orlando was able to get many more shots off with eleven in the first half.

The momentum shifted in the 2nd half in favor of Toronto, who intensified their attack. In the 65th minute, Toronto’s midfielder Jonathan Osorio cut around Lamine Sané and Rosell in the box and then shot the ball into the right side back corner to give Toronto the match’s first score.

Toronto’s second goal came at the 77th-minute when Alejandro Pozuelo assisted  Jay Chapman with a lob through-ball from the midfield to the right side of the pitch. Chapman brought the ball down with his foot with perfect control, then he shot towards the net to make it 2-0 for Toronto.

Orlando City was unable to score for the remainder of the game and when the final whistle blew, the result was a loss in their home stadium.

“I’m disappointed, in the second half they beat us in our game,” said Orlando City defender Lamine Sané. “We have to keep the ball and make them run but I think they changed, and we ran a lot and lost our energy. For me, it’s like we [tied] New York for nothing if we don’t win at home. We had a big game in New York and when you lose at home it’s like you played for nothing over there. We have to win at home. It’s most important for going to the playoffs.”

Orlando City will play their next match at Atlanta United on Sunday at 2:30 PM.