Netflix Documentary of the Week: Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes

Americans have always found themselves fascinated with criminals and the crimes that they commit.  Netflix’s Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, which chronicles the life and times of one of the most notorious serial killers in history, delivers on that fascination.

According to the series, people believed that Ted Bundy was handsome, intelligent, and mature. Yet, these traits were just one side of his personality, because looks can be very deceiving. Going deeper into the series, he is mysterious, diabolical, deceptive, manipulative, egocentric, and very violent.

Bundy had a normal childhood, yet he was different from everyone else. He was an introvert as a child, and he was very intelligent. As he got older, he wasn’t interested in girls or dating. He always had a passion to become a law student. Bundy received a degree in psychology, however, due to his low scores, he couldn’t get into law school. At this point, the may ask themselves: how does an intelligent man with a seemingly promising future become so wicked?

In the late 1970s, girls between the ages of 18-24 began to disappear in the Pacific Northwest outside of Seattle. The lack of technology that we’ve become accustomed to made the search for the fugitive very hard for the police.

From eyewitness testimony, the police had leads that made Bundy a person of interest. While Ted Bundy was in custody, he escaped prison twice. The first time, it took six days to search for him. The second time, it was 45 days.

During the trial, Ted Bundy represented himself using his knowledge of the law. However, with the evidence and the witnesses, Ted Bundy was found guilty and sentenced to death. Before the days of his execution, he confessed his crimes of killing more than 30 girls through cassette tapes. On January 24, 1989, Ted Bundy was executed by the electric chair.

Watching this series made me sick to my stomach. My favorite part of the series is the story of one of the survivors, Rhonda Stapley, who fought for survival and putting away her attacker. She has so much courage to discuss her terrifying past. I give all my respect to her.

In all honesty, when the series discussed the day when Ted Bundy was executed, it explained how the majority of the citizens and the victim’s’ family were ecstatic. I have to agree with their emotions because no one deserves to be murdered for someone else’s insecurity.

Image sourced from Netflix.