GSA and Book Nerds Host ‘Love Simon’ Movie Night and Discussion

The Gay-Straight Alliance and Book Nerds teamed up to host a discussion of the book “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda,” and viewing of the movie, “Love, Simon” on Friday, August 31 in Building 8, Room 101. It’s a coming of age film about a closeted gay teenage boy named Simon Spier, portrayed by Nick Robinson.

A giant poster of the movie was projected onto the front board. Soft, indie folk music played in the background while everyone was conversing in the middle of the room. The movie was one that hit home for members of GSA.

The event started off discussing the book written by Becky Albertalli. Valencia students and faculty discussed their perspectives of the story, online dating, normalizing LGBT+ culture, and the differences between the book and the movie

At the back of the room, there was pizza and drinks for everyone to enjoy. Throughout the movie, you could hear the audience laughing at the acting or sniffling during the heartfelt moments.

Once the movie ended, attendees shared their thoughts on why the film is important and what it meant to them. “The movie to me means to embrace your sexuality no matter who you are,” said Diana, 19, member of GSA.

Student Shanel Briceno, 19, said, “I related to it a lot. He [Simon] inspired people in the end and a lot of people told me that inspired them to come out as well.”

President of Gay-Straight Alliance, Angelisse Perez said, “I wanted to bring more light to the LGBT+ community this coming year,” after hosting the first event of the year for the club.