Peace takes over East Campus

Helping others in times of trouble can be a difficult task, but not an impossible one. The Peace and Justice Institute at Valencia College stands as a living proof of this statement when they offered their help to the Valencia community after the Pulse nightclub shooting that occurred in downtown Orlando last summer.

In order to continue with this tradition of helping others during rough times, the Peace and Justice Institute welcomes all of the Valencia community to the “International Peace Day Festival,” on Wednesday, Sept. 21.

“All of the events promote peace; after what happened in the Pulse tragedy, society needs to be more open-minded about personal preferences and this event helps promote that,” said Valencia student and event participant Rula K.

This event is part of the Global Peace Week so be prepared to see a lot of activities during this week like Cultural Understanding on Tuesday, Peaceful Conflict Resolution on Wednesday, and Post Pulse: Homosexuality and Cultural Acceptance on Thursday.

Come join Native American singers and chanters and Chiricahua Apache Medicine Man, Iron Eagle in this peace-promoting event. Also, do not miss the opportunity to witness the Valencia dancers perform.  There will also be face and rock painting events, information about Arabic culture, and you can be a part of the human peace sign photo at 2:00 p.m.

“This festival will help people come together and be more engaging with each other. It will also help students be more understanding and open to change,” said event helper Naomi Angry.

“Because of all of the negativity portrayed by media after the Pulse tragedy, people should start thinking of helping one another regardless of their race, religion, or sexual orientation. This event will allow everyone to embrace one another,” added Tucker Morgan.

Sponsored by the Peace and Justice Institute and funded by Student Development, the event will take place at East Campus Mall Area from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 21.