Meter-reader accused of displacing remains denies allegations

By Nikki Namdar

Special to Valencia Voice

Roy Kronk testified Tuesday in the State of Florida v. Casey Anthony to defend himself against allegations that he moved Caylee Marie Anthony’s body from the crime scence,

The Orange County meter-reader denied all allegations against him. Kronk explained that, on Aug. 11, 2008, he stopped in the woods to relieve himself when he was en route to meter read in the area of Hopesprings Dr., where the Anthonys live.

While in the woods, he noticed a white suspicious object on the ground that he informed two co-workers of what he believed to resemble a human skull. A dead rattle snake caught the employees’ attention instead. After another phone call days later, two law enforcement officers eventually met with him on Aug. 13, 2008, and could not find anything.

Kronk described his finding as “shocking,” saying, “It was a very horrific thing to find.”

Kronk said he was aware of the $255,000 award for finding Caylee, saying that because he knew media vans were right around the corner, he didn’t feel the need to notify them.

Kronk also informed the jury that the telephone conversation his son said they had did not happen. Kronk’s son said on Dec. 11, 2008, the day Caylee’s remains were found at the crime scene, that his father called him and said he was going to be famous.

“My son was mistaken by that phone call,” said Kronk. “That phone call never happened.”

Kronk admits there was a phone call but what he stated to his son was completely different.

“I told him on Dec. 11 I found something,” said Kronk, “and that he would see me on TV.”

Also at the stand Tuesday were three witnesses whose testimony were only to proffer. Outside the earshot of the jury, Jesse Grund and two officers from Casey’s dorm in the women’s correctional facility testified.

The two officers described Casey as “pleasant” and said she was always happy and smiling. Grund explained Casey’s allegations on the sex abuse by her brother.

“I felt uncomfortable with Lee when I first met him,” Grund said, characterizing Lee as “standoffish” and strange around Casey and her daughter. Grund questioned Casey on Lee’s behavior and she affirmed that Lee molested her.

All three of the testimonies were seen as irrelevant in this case by the court, Chief Judge Belvin Perry explained. Aside from these issues, Perry also said he would handle the issues presented by defense attorney Ann Finnell and her motion for a death penalty stricken jury and trial on Wednesday morning.

Another order was filed for a request by the state to add two more witnesses to their list, Don Platt and John Camperlengo, Cindy Anthony’s employers. If  the motion is approved, they will be called by the state to testify.

During a testimony on Thursday, Cindy claimed she made the questionable searches for chloroform in March 2008 and the state argued she was at work during the time the searches were made.

If convicted of the first-degree murder of her daughter, Casey Anthony may have to face the death penalty.