Prosecution attempts to discredit expert witness

By Nikki Namdar
Special to Valencia Voice

Dr. Timothy Huntington said there is no reason to suspect there was a dead body in the trunk of Casey Anthony’s Pontiac when he testified Friday at the State of Florida v. Casey Anthony trial.

The 25-year-old is accused of murdering her 2-year-old and storing the body in her trunk of her car before disposing of it in the woods.

Huntington told the jury that because of numerous factors, including the presence of the blow flies in the trunk and the bag of trash, he doesn’t believe there was a body decomposing back there. The bag of trash contained soda and beer cans with remnants of tobacco spit.

“Tobacco spit, that is a body fluid,” said Huntington. “There flies are very attracted to that sort of material … Tobacco spit was the primary attraction.”

He also said that the one leg of a fly found on a paper towel collected from the bag is not significant and lacks forensic value.

“One leg of a blow fly doesn’t mean anything,” he said,especially in a bag of trash. He added that one could most likely be found in the courtroom.

Huntington said that the amount of flies present in the trunk was relatively small compared to the hundreds he has seen in his studies.

“There was not a whole bunch of them to indicate something was decomposing,” he said.

Throughout direct examination, assistant state attorney Jeff Ashton continuously objected to defense attorney Jose Baez’s questioning, mostly for bloistering. He also repeatedly objected the witness, interrupting his testimony to challenge Huntington’s expertise in certain areas.

The single testimony took the entire day, allowing no room for any of other witnesses to testify.