The State of Florida v. Casey Anthony: Day 3

By Nikki Namdar
Special to the Valencia Voice

The courtroom heated up at the State vs. Casey Anthony trial on Thursday as the case falls into its third day of proceedings.

Casey Anthony’s father, George Anthony, took the stand again today and faced a tense cross examination from defense attorney Jose Baez.

Baez was unsatisfied with Anthony’s answer to a questions about the smell of human decomposition in the trunk of Casey’s car, and repeated the question numerous times. Anthony became increasingly frustrated, repeating himself and attempting to quantify his answer.

“You are badgering me. You are trying to make me upset,” George A. Anthony said to Baez. “Treat me with a little respect and I will give respect.”

Further into cross-examination, Judge Belvin Perry, Jr. cut off a question by Baez and demanded, “Do not go there.”

Anthony Lazarro, Casey Anthony’s ex-boyfriend, also took the stand for the third time. Lazzaro was called back in at the end of the trial – with no jury present – to testify about secrets Casey Anthony confided in him.

“Was the secret had shared with you that she had been sexually abused by her father?” asked Baez.

“No,” said Lazzaro.

“What was the secret that she had shared with you?” Baez asked.

“Lee Anthony tried to sexually abuse her,” Lazzaro said. According to the witness, the defendant’s brother tried “feel her up” on her chest area, but never actually did. “She said it didn’t happen.”

He also stated that Casey Anthony made claims of physical abuse by her father. “[Casey was] being disciplined by her father,” said Lazzaro. “Definitely not sexual abuse.”

George Anthony denies any claims towards him.

The serious allegations of sexual abuse, physical abuse and the defense’s claim of how Caylee died could lead to Casey Anthony having to take the stand, according to people familiar with the matter.

If convicted for the murder of her two-year-old, Casey Anthony will have to face the death penalty.