Opening statements given in Casey Anthony trial

By Nikki Namdar
Special to Valencia Voice

The trial for Casey Marie Anthony opened in Orlando on Tuesday. The 25-year-old is accused of the murder of her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony.

Opening statements were made to jurors by the state and defense, beginning with Prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick.

“Casey Anthony, Caylee’s mother, appeared to all outward observers to be what her parents thought she was; a loving mother working hard to provide support to her daughter,” said Burdick. “But as the evidence in this case and the investigation in the background of Casey Anthony will show, that was an illusion.”

Burdick recapped each of the 31 days prior to two-year-old Caylee being reported missing, saying Casey was on each day she was either shopping, partying or hanging out with her boyfriend.

“No one knows where Caylee is and Casey Anthony is gallivanting around Orlando,” Burdick said. “It is difficult to understand why a mother would kill her child. There’s no other conclusion that can be drawn. At the end of this case, you will have no trouble concluding that Caylee Anthony was murdered by her mother.”

The defense claimed to have new evidence to prove that Casey did not kill her daughter and that George A. Anthony, Casey’s father, may have more knowledge about the little girl’s death than he claims.

Jose Baez, defense attorney, stated that Caylee was never actually missing, but in fact died of an accidental drowning in the Anthony family’s pool on June 16, 2008. Baez also claimed the body was found by George Anthony.

“We will not say George Anthony killed his granddaughter,” said Baez. “It was an accident. An accident that snowballed out of control.”

George Anthony was the first witness to take the stand. He denied the allegations against him.

“When I heard that today, it hurt really bad,” he said, adding that he would have done everything “humanly possible to save” his granddaughter.

The State of Florida v. Casey Anthony trial will continue on Wednesday.