This poll has ended.

Will You Be On Vacation Or Working For Spring Break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Playing for pride: UGA gets ready for C-USA champ UCF.

By Rofkens Petit-Homme

Playing for keeps

“We’re about ready to play,” the first words uttered by University of Georgia head coach Mark Richt while getting ready to face the University of Central Florida in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl on Friday.

“I am a little concerned about how we would be practicing the first day, coming off of Christmas break and going right into full pads.” Coach Richt expressed. Georgia’s last game played was against in-state rival Georgia Tech; It ended up being a shoot out.True freshman Aaron Murray put up 273 yards, 15 of 19 completions, three TDs, and a quarterback rating of 250.86.

When asked about UCF quarterback Jeffrey Godfrey, like Murray another true freshman quarterback, coach Richt held Godfrey in a high regard. “To do able to do what he’s done is spectacular; he is extremely mobile, hard to hem up, and he is also an outstanding passer which makes him the number one in America for a true freshman.”

According to this years FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) standings Georgia is 38th overall with allowing opposing teams gaining an average of 246.1 yards per game.

Georgia may have started the season 1-4, but have fought ‘diligently’ to reach the .500 mark to be be 6-6. The last Georgia team to finish the season under .500 wins was in 1996.

“At one and four, I was not thinking about a bowl game, I was trying to find ways to win.” coach Richt explained, “Trying to turn it around at that point, thankfully we pushed all the right buttons and started to win.”

And that they did, following a 2-point loss to Colorado in their fifth week. Georgia played their hearts out winning against SEC opponents Tennessee and Vanderbilt. On top of that they beat out Kentucky, lost to the Gators in overtime, blew out Idaho State, lost to Championship contenders Auburn, and beat rivals Georgia Tech.

With the possibility of rain and thunderstorms for the Liberty Bowl, coach Richt informed the press that the Bulldogs got wet. “I think handling the wet ball is good, we had a rainy day that we practiced back home and we handled it well.”

When finishing the press conference, coach Richt walked over to the Liberty bowl trophy to get a look, “Is this thing active?” When confirmed of the working bell on the trophy he ran it three times.

I hope for all Georgia fans out there that this was a meaningless action.