‘fragment(ed)’ heats up

Empty Spaces Theater Company in collaboration with John DiDonna Productions proudly presents “fragment(ed)” the sequel to the “Best Dance” winner at the 2011 Orlando Fringe Festival “Unspoken.”

“fragment(ed),” an original production, will look into love and loss within personal relationships and how they bring about complications to an already complex world.

“We dive into a lot of the same issue as “Unspoken,” but this time we go a little more dark, a little more dangerous,” said Director John DiDonna. He admits the play deals with a lot of issues, but remains universally relatable to anyone who has ever been in a serious relationship.

After touching on the naïve ideals of love in the beginning, the play quickly dives into the darkness that can arise from dysfunctional relationships. The production uses a mixture of spoken word accompanied with dance, fight scenes and aerial acrobatics, all with fluid movements which visually convey raw emotions.

Every word from the play is taken from real life accounts of the members involved with the production. This creates a very personal experience, not only for the audience but also with the actors.

This play mainly addresses the manipulative power of sex in a relationship, and at times clothes fly off and steamy moments get very touchy feely. Then progressing into the exploration within the adult world of love, desire, guilt, rejection, violence, distraction and eventual fragmentation.

“fragment(ed)” is designed to take live theater to new heights. Live action fight scenes with swords in hand and high flying aerial maneuvers are all sure to amaze all in attendance.

“It’s dangerous, especially when you are 15 feet up in the air,” said Gina Makarova. She plays the troubled young girl whose inner conflicts with adult issues are manifested on stage.

Timing is critical for the complex fights and physical sequences to ensure that no one is injured. Fight choreographer Bill Warriner has cautiously gone through the finer details of each move with the actors to ensure a safe and flawless performance.

Production began near the later part of May and the dancers, choreographers and actors have rigorously reviewed and discussed the finalization of key moves to resolve any issues during rehearsal.

“It’s not just a play, or a live action show, it’s a little bit of everything rolled into one,” said actress Cameron Gagne.

Time is limited for this production with only seven shows scheduled from Thursday, July 12, through Monday July 16, at the Mandell Theater of the Lowndes Shakespeare Center located in Loch Haven Park. Performances will be each day at 7:30 p.m, with additional twilight shows on Saturday, July 14, and Sunday, July 15.

Tickets will cost $15 to $20 with some discounts available, and parental discretion is advised for children under the age of 13 due to adult language.

Reservations can be made in advanced by calling (407) – 328 – 9005 or online at redchairproject.com.