Epic Family Race aims to attract local athletes

Orange County Parks is hosting the Epic Family 5K Races, also sponsored by Nemours Children’s Hospital. The event’s purpose is to bring runners from all over Orange County together.

With a series of six different races, locations include Cady Way Trail, Barnett Park and Blanchard Park. The races began on April 14th and will go on throughout the summer.

The race is for all ages and awards are based on age categories: 11 and under, 12 to 17, 18 to 30, 31 to 54, and 55+. Awards are given to the top two racers of each age category, as well as the top two runners in the race, and for those who completed all six races.  There is also a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for both males and females in all divisions.

The cost is $25 a person and runners can register as late as the morning of the race, although by then the price increases to $35. For those signing up as Elite runners, the cost is $35.

T-shirts go to the first 100 people who register online for each location. Registration/Check in time is from 6:30 a.m. – 7:20 a.m. while the race starts at 7:30 a.m.. The award ceremony will be held at 9:30 a.m..

Participants also have the opportunity to sponsor the event, with different sections depending on how much is sponsored, such as Silver, which is $1,000+, Gold, which is $2,000+ and Title, which is $6,000+.

“I’m really excited to go to this event because it’s for everyone and their families,” Kindra Tush said. “It’s for a good cause and what’s to not like about it?”

To find more information on the different races and locations, go to the Orange County Parks website, http://www.ocfl.net/CultureParks/FeaturedParkEvents.aspx.