Disney scores with Sci-Fi film

A Civil War vet saves the red planet in the Disney film “John Carter,” written and directed by Andrew Stanton. Taylor Kitsch plays the superhuman title character who faces off against fate and the technologically advanced immortals that brought him to Mars.
Lynn Collins is a kind-hearted princess named Dejah Thoris of Helium who finds herself betrothed to the evil warlord Sab Than of Zodanga as the result of peace negotiations that would save her people. Dominic West commands the role of Sab Than with an unyielding fist.
Willem Dafoe voice acts Tars Tarkas, the king of a tall, greenish-brown-skinned creature race native to Mars, known as the Tharks. The Tharks are a species of warrior barbarians who stand on neutral ground in the war between the humans.
An immortal shape-shifter named Matai Shang holds the strings that keep mankind in war-lock, and was also responsible for Carter’s arrival on Mars. Mark Strong masters the true form of the quasi-omnipotent being that empowers the invading armies of Zodanga.
Carter wakes up on Mars and embarks on a quest to return to Earth when he is captured at least once by each of the factions in the story and gives his allegiance to nobody but himself.  The unsuspecting hero of the tale employs superhuman strength granted him by the lower gravity level of Mars.
Carter goes through some changes of heart after he falls in love with the princess and learns of the secrets behind the race of shape-shifters. His fondness for the princess entices him to crusade against puppet masters that fuel the strife between the races.
The digital art and magic of Disney fulfills the human eye’s addiction to graphic candy. The entirely animated race of Tharks and the many other animated species of life combine with Martian landscapes and the solar wind-powered vessels that litter their skies.
A comfortable pace is met with action scenes keep the film moving while mixing directly in with some of the plot development aspects of the movie. Raul Persaud commented after the film that his favorite part was “the fighting!”
The Martian cultures are rich and deeply intricate making the plot difficult for some viewers to follow. “It was good, but a little bit complicated,” said audience member Sonja Persaud.
Disney is likely to rake in the dough with this film as with any other movie it produces, yet may find competition in “Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax” for the number one spot for the weekend.
“It’s a tough call between ‘John Carter’ and ‘Lorax,’at our theater,” said Chad Pratt, manager at the Touchstar Cinemas in the Southchase Plaza. “But I think ‘John Carter’ will do better overall.”