SGA Revives Puma Pride, Student Involvement

“SGA Banners”. SGA banners at Valencia’s East Campus to welcome Pumas to the
Student Development Building. (Saniya Heron)

Valencia’s Student Government Association, or SGA, underwent a reinvention this year in
hopes of increasing student involvement on campuses.

As part of this rebranding, the student government is now managed through a new university-wide executive board consisting of a President, Vice President, and Executive Secretary in contrast to previous years when they existed separately at every campus.

A legislative body underneath the board was also introduced where all 7 Campuses are entitled to an elected senator and delegate team.

The transition aims to enhance student life opportunities, engagement, and representation
to restore college support and unity. Director of the Student Development Department, Joshua Austin said, “The change was to set a new foundation and build a structure that supports college-wide functions and reconnects the institution while helping [the governance] implement their goals and leadership skills.”

Andres Perez, a second-year student pursuing an A.A in Political Science, took his post as SGA president in May and was officially inaugurated this past September. While this is his first college-wide position, it’s not his first role in a student organization — as he served as a band leader at Windermere High School.

Perez said, “I grew up very energetic, connecting with others, and I wanted to be a part of
something bigger to advocate for my community.” Perez’s electoral journey was easy running as he was the only one who applied. His main responsibilities and goals this year plan to jump-start engagement, presence, and collaboration to foster a supportive student community along their academic journey.

Hilda Chan, 19, elected as the East Campus Senator had a campaign experience even though she also was the only candidate. Chan said, “In mid-spring, I campaigned when I decided to run for this position. I had flyers and buttons that I gave to students and let them know my proposed initiative in SGA to connect with different students.”

Inspired by last year’s East Campus President, Andy Silva, Chan hopes to improve campus life and facilitate easy navigation of clubs and organizations for Pumas.

“Being president, you don’t become a celebrity, but your name has weight to it,” Perez said. “I’m a very committed and personable person putting 110% into everything and my goal is just to be the best that I can.”

This year, he, Chan, and the rest of SGA endeavor to enhance Valencia’s understanding, increase student outreach, promote active participation, and strengthen connections between students and the association to voice their opinions.

Austin’s answer on the effectiveness of the changes, which have only been in place for five months, is still uncertain. “It will take time to assess but just what I’ve seen so far, it will be a good move for the organization and students. Anytime there’s that continued level between work at the college and work of our student government, it’s only going to lead to better representation of our students.”

SGA is encouraging students who have a voice and want to make a difference to join in on the conversation. Elections each year take place in April and officials serve a single term until May of the prospective year, with reruns required.

Upcoming events are also available at every campus such as Puma Day, Spirit Week, Club Fairs, and monthly Town Hall meetings. Student Development Centers also provide plentiful flyers and digital notices on ENGAGE and their Instagram .

“Don’t wait, go in, and ask how.” is the best piece of advice Perez urges students who are interested in getting involved on campus. “For those who are committed to leadership and want to be a part of something bigger, it’s important that you take that first step.”