Yow wows with ‘3 in Motion’ together with Valencia dance

Yow+wows+with+3+in+Motion+together+with+Valencia+dance+

EAST CAMPUS — Valencia’s Dance Department hosted its collaborative dance concert, “3 in Motion”, Feb. 1.

The Valencia Dance Theatre (VDT), the Dr. Phillips High School Dance Magnet and modern dance company, Yow Dance all collaborated on the show. The annual concert was held at the Performing Arts Center on Valencia’s East Campus.

“We strive to provide a real world experience for them,” said Assistant Director, Kristina Stevens. “There are four major concerts a year so students have a lot of opportunities to perform.”

Throughout the year, dancers in Valencia’s dance program have the opportunity to learn choreography created by professional dancers.

“Our dancers get to work with professional dancers,” said Stevens. “When they leave here and go to audition somewhere else, they have already got a connection.”

The ability to network and gain an idea of real world experience helps students to land jobs as dancers for companies.

“We have students that are dancers at Disney, cruise ships and professional companies in Atlanta,” said Stevens.

Students are also given opportunities to choreograph their own pieces and perform them for a student panel of judges.

“I’m building a repertoire,” said student Emmanuella Dorcely.

Dorcely choreographed the eighth movement of the night. Dorcely began to dance at age 15 and has now been dancing for 10 years. After graduating from Valencia, she plans on moving to California to begin her career.

“I’m going the choreographer route,” said Dorcely. “By this time next year, I’ll be in L.A.”
Initially, Dorcely did not think to go to college. She accredits her pursuit of a college education to dance.

“My mom said I was talented,” said Dorcely. “Dancing led me to go to school.”

Tyrone Speller and Forrest Hershey choreographed individual pieces in the night’s production along with Dorcely.

“I feel like this program has grown me as a dancer and choreographer,” said Hershey. “I’ve changed as a dancer and a person.”