With Marlins trading big-name players, fans look to boycott

Jose Reyes was among the massive exodus of Marlin players.

Miami Marlins fans aren’t happy.

After word spread on Tuesday night that the Miami Marlins were reportedly working on a trade with the Toronto Blue Jays that would send ace’s Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle to Toronto, along with shortstop Jose Reyes, catcher John Buck, and utility-man Emilio Bonifacio.

In return, Miami will receive Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Jeff Mathis, Jake Marisnick, as well as pitchers Henderson Alvarez, Justin Nicolino and Anthony DeScalafani. With the trade the Marlins have also managed to get rid of $150 million in base salary commitments.

Many fans around the community are showing their displeasure towards the deal through social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter, there has even been a “Boycott Loria” Twitter account made to encourage fans to boycott Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria.

The “Boycott Loria” Twitter account was created Tuesday night and as of Wednesday night, the account had 288 followers. A boycott of the team may seem unlikely, but a source within the “Boycott Loria” account believes that the fans will go through with it this time around.

“It’s not the first time they’ve mentioned it,” said the source about the boycott. “But I think now that the fans are paying for the new ballpark, I think it’s a little more personal.”

Other fans plan on showing their displeasure towards the franchise’s latest roster moves as soon at Saturday.

Barnaby Robles is a Miami resident, and has been a Marlins fan ever since he went to the team’s first game back in 1993 with his father at the age of nine. Now 28 years old, Robles understands the dynamics of the fire sale more now than he did back in 98’ or 05’, the main difference in those fire sales being that the Marlins won a World Series championship before trading away their stars.

Robles said that he, along with many of his friends, will be going to Marlins Park on Saturday at 3:05 p.m. to drop off all of their team apparel at the ballpark’s doorstep.

“I don’t think boycotting the team is necessarily the right answer,” said Robles. “I’ve already talked to a couple of guys, and this Saturday we are going to go to the stadium and we’re just going to go put our stuff there. We’re just going to drop off whatever shirts we bought and whatever hats we bought.”

Fans aren’t the only ones upset about the trade. Many of the Marlins remaining starters voiced their frustration about the trade via twitter.
Outfielder Giancarlo Stanton tweeted, “Alright, I’m pissed off!!! Plain & Simple.” While fellow teammate Ricky Nolasco simply tweeted “Huh?….”

Taxpayers are another portion of the Miami community that are upset with the trade. Miami-Dade county is liable for roughly $2.4 billion in debt payments on the stadium over the next 40 years.

Robles who is a Miami taxpayer also stressed the fact that the city of Miami is the one on the hook for the payment of the stadium.

“The only reason Jeffrey Loria has that nice, beautiful stadium is because the city of Miami gave him hundreds of millions of dollars to do so,” said Robles. “We’re the ones that are footing that bill.”

Some fans still try to remain optimistic about the team, despite the revamping of the roster.

Eduardo Delgado is one of those fans. Delgado is a Miami native who has been a Marlins fan his whole life and is trying to look at the bright side of the trade.

“I’m trying to keep my hopes up for how this will end up,” said Delgado. “My thoughts are that the management is planning on bringing in some big name free agents.”

As of Wednesday night, the trade was yet to be announced officially, as player physicals were still pending. If the trade goes through as planned, the Marlins payroll will be roughly $16 million before arbitration, which is only a fraction of the $111.5 million that Miami started the 2012 season with.