Solar Bears continue bad run against first place Gladiators

Solar+Bears+continue+bad+run+against+first+place+Gladiators+

ORLANDO — Dallas Jackson scored back-to back goals as the Gwinnett Gladiators defeated the Orlando Solar Bears 2-1, Sunday night at the Amway Center in Downtown Orlando on Veterans Day weekend.

After a scoreless first period for both teams, Gwinnett (11-3-1) took a commanding lead before the second period came to a close.

“I thought our second period wasn’t very good,” said Solar Bears forward Rob Mignardi.

“We weren’t generating anything and I think it wasn’t their defense or offense we as a team just didn’t show up in the second period and it cost us.”

With another loss to the Gladiators, which are now on a eight game winning streak, the Solar Bears (6-5-2) have now recorded four consecutive losses to Gwinnett and fall further behind in the division standings.

Gwinnett has also gained a specific advantage versus the Solar Bears and that’s putting up the first goal in the game which has happened in every game against the Gladiators this season and has left Orlando playing catch up.

“Our game plan is never to start slow,” said Mignardi. “Sometimes on Sunday afternoon games we’ve had a long week, they had a long week, but that’s no excuse for us.”

Mignardi scored the Solar Bears only goal of the game late in the third period and was assisted by Kevin Baker and Edward Levens.

With that goal, Mignardi has now scored in back to back games for Orlando and continues to display the versatile play of many players capable of scoring on the team and their motto of “Solar Bears Hockey” which is team work, hard work, and dedication.

The Solar Bears are now 1-3 on their seven game home stand and will have a whole week off of games.
With having a week in their advantage for practice Orlando head coach Drake Berehowsky wants to ensure his players stay consistent.

“We try to focus on playing every game the same way no matter who were playing,” said Berehowsky.
“Whether it’s them or Florida we want to do our best every time.”

In honor of the Veterans who have served in the United States military, the Solar Bears players wore their regular home jerseys with added camouflage designs which was also designed on the players socks.

Orlando will play their next game, a three game series against the Kalamazoo Wings starting Nov. 17.