No.21 UCF Women’s Soccer thrash Marshall

ORLANDO — Nicolette Radovcic helped the Knights defeat Marshall by scoring her 10th goal of the season to lead Knights in a 5-0 thrashing on Sunday afternoon.

UCF got off to a quick start by scoring two of their 5-goals in the first 12 minutes of the game.

Senior Forward Tishia Jewell also tied the record in UCF’s history for the most shots at 229.

The Knights first goal came in the 11th minute of play when UCF earned a free kick.

“That’s just devastating for another team,” said Amanda Crowell. “The attack has been great a lot of movement and creativity up top.”

“The seniors came up big in a lot of different ways with assists, play-making and goals. Getting the shutout was huge; as well preserving they had the one at the end off the crossbar.”

Carleigh Williams took the free kick and put it in the box where Jennifer Martin met the airborne kick with a header to grab her 6th goal of the season and give the Knights the lead early on.

The Knights scored the second goal 43 seconds later in the 12th minute.

When Andrea Rodrigues crossed the ball in from the left side of the field, the cross found Ashley Nicol who headed the cross in the back of the net for her 4th goal of the season.

The last goal came in the 43rd minute of the match, when Zoe Hayes made a pass from midfield to Kayla Darden who scored her 2nd career goal by driving a low shot pass the keeper to make it 3-0 for the Knights.

UCF in the first half controlled most of the possession and pressure Marshall’s defensive and goalkeeper to keep the game close but, the Knights with suffocating defensive and dynamic offensive proved too much to handle for the Thundering Herd.

The Knights outshot the Thundering Herd in the first half 10-1 and 23-3 for the entire game.

The only category Marshall beat UCF in was saves by the goalkeeper. Marshall had 7 saves to 1 for UCF.

Marshall goalkeeper, Lindsey Kerns,  earned several saves, but she didn’t get help from her offense or defense because they couldn’t keep the ball from being on their side of the field most the game.

In the second half, UCF controlled much of the possession and had opportunities to score more goals, but they didn’t until the 60th minute, when Ashley Nicol passed to Tishia Jewell outside the box and Jewell then found Kristina Trujic inside the box. Trujic then score the goal for her 5th of the season to make it 4-0 UCF.

“From here on out, every day is senior day,” said Nicol. “We always said if we score we win.”

The final goal of the match came in the 83rd minute when Bianca Joswiak passed to Nicolette Radovcic who then flicked the ball by the defender inside the box and then beat the keeper to score her 10th goal of the season.

“I think this weekend is a step in the right direction,” said Radovcic

The win was the Knights’ 3rd straight shutout and 11th of the season, as they sported pink jerseys for Breast Cancer awareness Month.