Magic win second straight preseason game

ORLANDO, Fla. — Andrew Nicholson had 18 points to lead as the Orlando Magic defeated the San Antonio Spurs 104-100. The team earned their second consecutive preseason win Sunday night at the Amway Center.

The Magic (2-3) lead the way as a team with balanced scoring, which Orlando will focus on strategy-wise this season.

“We stressed from day one that this was going to be about our team scoring, our team being unselfish, and passing , and they’ve done a really good job of doing so,” said Magic head coach Jacque Vaughn.

Both veterans and rookies shared the role of scoring and taking initiative to control the momentum throughout the game.

E’Twaun Moore, DeQuan Jones and Andrew Nicolson contributed from the roster of rookies as part of the new system that is being run by first-year coach Vaughn.

“Moore has done a great job of working on his game, after practice, challenging our guards in practice, being very competitive,” said Vaughn.

“With Andrew the great thing is he is learning something new in every single game. Whether it is positioning in the post, whether it’s running in the floor whether it’s tonight fouling a shooter. We’ll watch film and make him better and the great thing is he wants to learn and be better.”

Orlando pushed in the second quarter to control the momentum of the game and took their biggest lead of the night scoring 28 to San Antonio’s 17, which had them refusing to look back and never returning the lead after a total of 15 lead changes.

Part of the Magic’s success will come from not only the veteran starters but the bench full of new faces.

“In order to be successful, we are going to have to use each other,” said Magic forward Glen Davis.

“We want the rookies to set the tone and establish their careers. In order to do that, we are going to have to show them the way. The good thing about the rookies is that they are willing and open to listen. That is the most important thing.”

San Antonio (3-3) played their starters, but their role player Danny Green lead his team with 13 points.

Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich faced off against Vaughn, who he coached when Vaughn was an active player.

“That was a special feeling. It makes you think about the time you spent with those guys,” said Vaughn.

“There are guys on that team that I played with, guys on that team that I coached, staffs that I was in a lot of meetings with trying to get plans together in the playoffs.”

Orlando will go on the road for their next game against Houston.  As their preseason comes to a close, the team focuses on playing an all-around game which they will lead on as the season begins.

“I’ve seen a lot of unselfishness,” said rookie forward Nicholson.

“We are having a tremendous amount of assists and we are playing together and being competitive.”