UCF Men’s soccer wins first conference game against FIU

ORLANDO —  Deshorn Brown scored the only goal of the game on a penalty kick, as the Central Florida (UCF) Knights defeated the Florida International (FIU) Panthers 1-0 in conference play, Wednesday night.

UCF (4-3-2) received their first conference home win with Brown’s goal in the 25th minute of the second half after a scoreless first half by both teams.

“I keep finding the back of the net, and we’re developing as a better team with our second win in a row,” said Brown. “Before the last games, we weren’t organized and the chemistry wasn’t there, but coach told us to play as a team.”

Brown leads the team with eight goals this season and is tied for sixth nationally in points per game.

Despite FIU’s advantage in shots on goal, UCF’s defense narrowed the Panthers’ chances at scoring.

“Tale of two halves, we played well in the first half, but didn’t finish our chances,” said Knights head coach Bryan Cunningham.

“Second half we continued the game and created a nice scoring chance and put it away and get another shutout.”

Coming into the game, FIU (6-2-2) enjoys a strong 2012 campaign only having one loss before tonight’s match.

Their second loss of the season against a conference opponent puts them behind in the Conference USA.

Although having a great record, FIU falls to a loss and a draw in conference play compared to UCF’s solo win.

“The conference is tight this year, not going to be easy,” said Cunningham. “You have to get to a fast start in this conference but to start out and get three points especially at home, we couldn’t be more pleased.”

UCF heads to South Carolina for their next match in conference play.

“We just have to work really hard against them. They’re a difficult team, but we just need to keep the chemistry going, just like against FIU,” said Brown.