‘The Walking Dead’ invades Universal ‘Horror Nights’

As Halloween season nears, this year’s anticipated arrival of Universal Orlando’s “Halloween Horror Nights” is finally here.

The event, which recently opened last Friday on Sept. 21, marks the 22nd anniversary. The event’s first occurrence was in 1991.

“Horror Nights” takes place after Universal Studios closes and transforms into a dark abyss filled with haunted houses and creatures that walk the streets.

This year’s theme is “The Walking Dead,” based on the popular TV show on AMC. To bring this theme to life Universal filled the park with enraged zombies and dead people. “Once you’re inside… there is no way out” is the tagline for this year.

At an exclusive preview for the event, guests were able to experience the scares firsthand.

One feature that is unique this year is the exclusion of “scare zones.” During previous Horror Nights, the characters who played monsters and villains, who terrorized innocents of the theme park, were quarantined to scare zones. Now, these zones are nonexistent.

The walking dead are free to roam the entire park this year. No matter where you go, you won’t be safe from the horde. Nothing is off limits.

On Friday, one character was actually hanging around the exit to a bathroom, waiting for his or her next victim.

The lineup for this year’s haunted houses are: “The Walking Dead,” “Alice Cooper’s Welcome To My Nightmare,” “Dead End,” “House Of Horrors,” “Silent Hill,” “Penn & Teller New (KD) Vegas” and “Gothic.”

“‘The Walking Dead’ was definitely my favorite house; it was the scariest,” said Glenn Adam.

The houses with the longest wait times were “Silent Hill,” “The Walking Dead” and “Penn & Teller,” which were all over an hour long.

“I liked it. It wasn’t the best year but it was still fun,” said Brittany Stoner.

Only a selected number of rides and attractions are open, which consist of: Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Men In Black Alien Attack, Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, Revenge Of The Mummy and the Simpsons Ride.

This year’s the event will feature two shows, including Bill & Ted’s Excellent adventure, which is is redone every year and 20 Penny Circus: Fully exposed, which is a magic show with a bloody twist.

With rides, seven haunted houses, two shows and tons of characters roaming the streets, the event is sure to scare.

The event is a separate ticketed event and takes place on select nights from Sept. 21 – Oct. 31.

Prices for the event are as low as $41.99, tax not included.

For more information visit: http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/.

View Comments (1)