Rollins women’s soccer beats Eckerd 6-2 in first home game

Returning home off a 1-3 start for the 2012 season, Azure Dorsey scored 3 goals as the Rollins women’s Tars defeated the Eckerd Tritons 6-2 Wednesday night, Sept. 12, at the Cahill-Sandspur field at Barker Family Stadium.

Hosting their first conference game at home, Rollins got off to a quick start.

“At home it’s much different than playing away. You have something to prove to all your fans, friends and family,” said Rollins forward Brenna McKee, which leads the team in assists. “You want to do well at home. It’s your territory, and you want to protect it.”

Leading the way offensively was Rollins defender Azure Dorsey, who had 3 goals in the first half alone.

“Go to the goal mostly, to get in there and make runs, stay high, and challenge defenders in the back,” said Dorsey. “I just wanted to score.”

Rollins college had a total of five goals to Eckerds zero in the first half.

Brenna McKee and defender Anita Cox each added a goal to the victory.

“Six goals in one game is something special, so it proves we’re a good team and have good forwards,” said Cox.

Devon Morse contributed the only goal for Eckerd as the other goal was provided off of Rollins own goal by keeper Mary Spring.

Rollins improved their record to 2-3 and got their first conference win while Eckerd received their first loss of the season and are now 2-1.

“We proved to ourselves that we can score goals. Now we need to prove we can defend as a team and individually,” said Cox.