Valencia to celebrate new campus

The Valencia family is set to get a whole lot bigger in the fall of 2012.This is the flagship semester for the fifth Valencia campus located at Lake Nona Medical City. Boasting 18 high-tech classrooms, two computer labs, six state-of-the-art science labs, a full learning support service system, a library and even a bookstore and café, the campus is a strong addition to the burgeoning Lake Nona area.

The premier building is the first of a planned four that will form the Lake Nona campus cluster. It currently commands three stories and 83,000 square-feet of area.

“The Lake Nona campus was built in the spirit of collaboration and innovation. Being a partner with Medical City is important,” says Dr. Michael Bosley, executive dean to the Lake Nona Campus.

The campus will focus heavily on science and mathematics and aims to utilize its valuable partnership with Lake Nona Medical City to prepare students for related careers.

“Our location next to Medical City will allow us to develop exciting opportunities for our students, both while at Valencia and beyond,” says professor of biology Dr. Kristiann Dougherty. “Our small, but tight knit faculty and staff, provide a supportive environment in which to work. And I can’t say enough about the wonderful new building and its great features, including six science labs — a science faculty’s dream.”

Predating the new campus was a partnership with Lake Nona High School that offered Dual-Enrollment and college-level courses to its students through the Collegiate Academy. Prior to the creation of the full campus, Valencia also offered classes to the general public in a wing of the high school. Collegiate Academy enrollment peaked at 400 students last spring, according to a Valencia news report.

The Lake Nona campus dedication ceremony will occur on Thursday, Sept. 20, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The festivities are open to the public and all are encouraged to come out and celebrate the completion of the campus’ first building.

Among those slated to speak at the ceremony are Mayor Buddy Dyer and President Sandy Shugart, according to Dr. Bosley. The evening will also include science-related activities and a smattering of fair-like displays.

Though the campus officially opens for business on Sept. 20, fall semester officially begins for students on Sept. 27.

The campus is located at 12500 Narcoossee Road in Orlando, Fla. For additional information on the campus, call 407-956-8300 ext. 2400.