Lions draw 1-1 against Wilmington; extend unbeaten run to 10 games

ORLANDO, Fla. — Matt Luzunaris’ 84th minute header helped Orlando City avoid their first home loss, as they drew 1-1 against the Wilmington Hammerheads, Wednesday night in front of 6,031 fan at the Citrus Bowl.

Luzunaris, who scored his eighth goal of the season, was set up by a Dennis Chin lob in the 84th minute to secure the tie.

“We gave away a pathetic goal,” said coach Adrian Heath after the game.

After being held 0-0 in the first half, Wilmington’s Bryle Taylor opened up the scoring in the 68th minute when he began a run from the middle of the pitch that broke City’s defense, as Taylor drilled a shot from the 16 yard line to give the Hammerheads a 1-0 lead.

“We passed up too many opportunities, and we threw another two points away this evening,”  said Heath.

Even though City outshot the Hammerheads 36-6, the missed chances caused Orlando to miss out on the three points available.

“I don’t think Wilmington is a good team, and we are the best team in this league,” said a frustrated Matt Luzunaris. “Tonight was just unfortunate, and we still have a lot to prove. This league is not won yet.”

The Lions could have opened up the scoring when Kevin Molino was fouled in the penalty box in the 49th minute by Dylan Riley.

Rodrigo Lopez stepped up for the spot kick, only for it to be saved by goalkeeper Alex Horwath.

With chance after chance, Heath wasn’t too pleased with the draw and stressed that if City were to lose tonight, it would have been a travesty.“I want to win the league, I want to win everything, and I’m not satisfied when we don’t.”

Despite the draw, the Lions were able to clinch a first round bye in the playoffs, and now they must look at Friday’s home match when they face the Charleston Battery.

“I think they’re going to come for blood,” said Luzunaris. “We need to use this game and whatever else makes us angry and bring that into the game.”