Orlando City remains dominant home, away

Road games can always prove to be difficult for many sport teams, but the Orlando City Lions see it as business to handle.Coming back from a two-game road sweep against the L.A. Blues, the Lions have established a ten point lead in the USL Pro Standings, with only six games remaining in the regular season.

“We look at it as getting the win and nothing else,” says forward Matt Luzunaris, who has six goals in his last ten appearances for the club. “The biggest thing [coach Adrian Heath] asks us is to play collectively for 90 minutes.”

With only one loss this season, which occurred on the road, City was able to bounce back to win the next three home games.

A four game road stretch proved to be pivotal for the Lions, as the Charleston Battery looked to capitalize on any City mistake.

The Lions started its four-game road stretch on June 29, as the Dayton Dutch Lions of Ohio hosted them.

A 2-2 draw was able to get Orlando one point, but had to scratch that draw as they visited Pittsburgh the following day, with no rest.

The last time Pittsburgh met Orlando was on May 5, which show cased a nail biting win for the Lions.

This time featured something similar, with Kevin Molino equalizing in the last minute to salvage a 1-1 draw, Orlando now had to focus on winning in Los Angeles the following week.

“The games in Dayton and Pittsburgh showed how difficult it can be to win on the road,” said Heath.

As the Lions traveled to Los Angeles for two meeting in three days with the Blues, coach Heath still remained optimistic about getting the six points that were available.

The first meeting gave Orlando a 1-0 win, as Kieron Bernard headed an Anthony Pulis corner kick in the opening minute of the game.

The second game, however, established a nine point lead for the Lions, as rising Orlando star, Dennis Chin, bagged a brace and Matt Luzunaris sealed a 4-0 win for the sweep in Los Angeles.

“Playing on the road is a different ball-game, but I try to come out strong and I just manage to score,” said Dennis Chin on his recent form, which now leads the team in scoring with nine goals in all competition.

With six games remaining to the regular season, the Lions are back on the road Thursday, when they second place team, Charleston Battery.