Local theatre presents award-winning plays to be featured

Moving to a new home,The Harriett Theatre, on 54 West Church St.; Mad Cow Theatre announced their 2012-2013 season.

A Pulitzer Prize-winning musical called, “Sunday in the Park with George,” will show this fall from October 6 to October 28 at The Harriett Theatre, a part of the Mad Cow Theatre. Following the tale of painter Georges Seurat as he fights for a dying relationship while creating a painting dubbed,  “A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte,” the story later jumps ahead, showing the life of Seurat’s American descendant a century in the future as he tries to discover his place in life.

A couple struggles to cope with the realization that their daughter has written a memoir filled with secrets of their entire life, forcing to reopen wounds and unwanted truths in “Other Desert Cities,” which will be held October 19 to November 11 and will play at the Black Box Theatre.

Meet the Westons: a pill popping mother, three traumatized sisters and other troubled relatives. The New York Times said that “August: Osage County” is, “probably the most exciting new American play Broadway has seen in years.” Also a Pulitzer Prize winner, “August: Osage County,” will show from November 30 to December 23 at The Harriett Theatre.

With a long history on Broadway, “Mass Appeal” surrounds a priest and a young seminarian who questions the priest’s constant regimen. By Bill C. Davis, this play will show from December 7 to December 30 at the Black Box Theatre.

A comedy by Neil Simon, “Laughter on the Third Floor,” is set in the 1950s and focuses on the host of “The Max Prince Show,”  Max Prince. Prince’s anxiety hikes as the ratings slip, and jabs delivered by each co-star to one another guarantees laughs. The play will go from January 25 to February 17, 2013 at The Harriett Theatre.

A classic by George Bernard Shaw, “Mrs. Warren’s Profession” surrounds Kitty Warren, who grants her daughter’s independence with a dark sacrifice. Watching two determined women bump heads is at the core of the entire show. This feature will be performed from February 8 to March 3, 2013 at the Black Box Theatre.

“A magical triumph!” said the L.A. Times about “Enchanted April,” a tale of two housewives, who in order the escape from boring marriages rent a villa in Italy with another two women. Based on the novel by Elizabeth von Arnim, this play shows how a vacation can lead to discovering inner-self. Watch their discovery from March 22 to April 14, 2013 at The Harriett Theatre.

A Tony Award-winning musical, “Dreamgirls,” is the story of a 1960s girl music group that tries to claim fame. With music by Academy Award nominee Henry Krieger and lyrics by Tony and Grammy Award-winning author Tom Eyen, the play will show from June 7 to June 30, 2013 at The Harriett Theatre.

A drama by Pulitzer Prize winner Donald Marguiles, “Collected Stories” tells of the relationship between a celebrated New York author and her young protege. As their friendship grows, reality and fiction start to meld together and turn for the worst. Critically acclaimed by The New York Times, “Collected Stories” will feature from June 21 to July 14, 2013 at the Black Box Theatre.

The well-known classic by Arthur Miller, “Death of a Salesman,” is a Pulitzer-Prize winning play that captures realism at its best. It will show from August 2 to August 25, 2013 at The Harriett Theatre, and is a part of the “Gary and Maureen Fries Classics Series.”