Casa de Puerto Rico hosts a 5k at Lake Baldwin for Latin Flag Day

Casa de Puerto Rico had its first 5k run this past Saturday at Lake Baldwin in Winter Park. It was a balmy 80 degrees at the kick off, and the thick, humid summer air is perhaps what kept many participants at bay.

Though there were only about 38 runners/walkers who partook in the Latin Flag Day 5k, Casa de Puerto Rico still managed to raise about $950 for their organization. The runners all sported neon green shirts with the group’s logo and ran to festive Spanish music provided by a DJ.

Casa de Puerto Rico, which translates to “House of Puerto Rico,” is an Orlando-based group that offers support, social events, a rental space for birthday parties, weddings, conferences and various other activities to the public.

Group member Jesus O’Neill, 64, talked about the success of Saturday’s 5k as he offered cooling slices of watermelon and pineapple to heated runners passing by.

“This 5k was Casa de Puerto Rico’s first annual race ever,” Oneill said. “We’re going to have one next year and the numbers (of participants) will grow.”

O’Neill said that the majority of participants in the Latin Flag Day 5k were senior citizens, and the organization is doing more for the youth in means of attracting a younger crowd to join Casa de Puerto Rico.

“The money from today’s race will go towards funding our free computer classes to the public, as well as our baseball clinic and our karaoke nights on Saturdays,” said O’Neill. “All of these activities are open to the public.”

“I am happy to participate in the run for Puerto Rico,” said Juan Ortiz, a runner in the 5k. “It’s good to get Casa de Puerto Rico’s name out there so it can help more people.”

For more information about Casa de Puerto Rico, contact: (407) 965-1266 or send inquiries to: [email protected].