Magic introduce new GM

After what seemed to be a long and extensive search in Orlando, the Magic have finally announced their new General Manager, Rob Hennigan, who seems to have quite the resume.

Hennigan has spent the past eight seasons with two of the NBA’s most successful franchises. He has spent the past four seasons with the Oklahoma City Thunder who reached the NBA finals this year. The four years prior to that, Hennigan was with the San Antonio Spurs, which he played a key role in winning both the 2005 and 2007 NBA championships. Hennigan has been the assistant general manager and director and player personnel for the past two seasons in Oklahoma City.

“As we were going through our process we were looking for an individual, a leader who would bring championship organization experience, was a great strategist, and brought with him a sound system and approach to evaluating talent,” said Magic chief executive officer Alex Martins. “While there were very many worthy candidates, Rob stood out to us for both his experience and what we feel is a strategic and systematic approach to building a basketball operation. Our goals have not changed we are focused on putting a winning product on the floor each and every year and sustaining it.”

Hennigan will look to impact the Magic immediately as the NBA draft is next week in New York and will also lead the way for Orlando in their search to still hire a new coach for the 2012-2013 season although he said there is no timetable for when the new coach will be hired.

“It was clear to me in our first meeting and subsequent meetings how committed the organization is to winning. Not only winning, but doing things in a certain way,” said Hennigan. “Our goal is to build an elite basketball operation, both on the court and off the court. That is our goal.”

A huge part in the success of making the Magic an elite basketball team will be if Dwight Howard decides to return to Orlando next season and stay long term. Hennigan does not have a relationship with Howard yet but looks forward to sitting down and talking with the all-star center in the near future.

“Clearly Dwight is one of the best playing in the NBA. His resume speaks for itself,” Hennigan said. “I know personally, I’m looking forward to sitting down with him and sharing the vision and direction we’re looking to go.”

At 30 years old, Hennigan is the youngest general manager in the NBA and replaces former Magic GM Otis Smith, who agreed to step down earlier this year in May after an unsuccessful run with the team.