Ridley Scott’s latest is far from his greatest

Director Ridley Scott’s new prequel to “Alien” hits the viewer with a confusing look at extraterrestrial life.“

It wasn’t a bad movie but what in the world was going on?” said UCF student Chase Terry. “

It was confusing as hell.”Set in the year 2089, the team of explorers on the space ship, Prometheus, are searching for an alien race referred to as “Engineers.”

Dr. Elizabeth Shaw, played by Noomi Rapace (star of the Swedish “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” movie), is the lead female protagonist, a scientist who seeks funding from Peter Weyland, sponsor of the trip, played by Guy Pearce.

Dr. Shaw’s partner and boyfriend, Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green), helps her discover the cave drawings and star map that leads to their exploration.

The scenario of corporation-sponsored new world explorations led by passionate scientists has been acted out many times (the last time viewers have seen it was in “Avatar”). It gets even more repetitive with Charlize Theron’s character, Meredith Vickers, a corporate bitch, albeit a very believable and well-played one.

“The script is obviously something seen before,” said Sci-Fi fan Chris Bern. “Whenever there’s a movie about searching for other life forms in the universe, it’s pretty much the same story line. Scientists to space; scientists get too comfortable with aliens; aliens end up killing everyone.”

It seemed from the previews the movie would serve to answer questions that lingered from “Alien” but more questions were brought up (one being: Why would Guy Pearce be cast as an elderly man instead of casting an elderly man?).

The visuals were out of this world, but the plot was lackluster and uninspiring.

“It would be a much better movie if the storyline made sense,” said Terry. “It was a big waste of good acting, talent, and special effects.”

Others, like Holly Terrin, agreed. “I think if “Prometheus” was made before “Alien,” “Alien” would be one of those straight-to-DVD movies.”