Rising Star in Orlando City

With four goals to his name, forward Dennis Chin must be feeling really accomplished during his second year with the Orlando City Lions.

Chin, who showed many supporters during the preseason that he can play, has become a fan favorite during the 2012 USL Pro season. “We know what he’s capable of,” said head coach Adrian Heath on Chin’s overall performance this season.

Brought over to the states from Jamaica at a very young age, soccer was not the very first sport Chin played. “My parents wanted me to do track at first, but I started playing soccer in the neighborhoods,” said Chin. “If I was going to run, I was going chase a ball around.”

With his love of the sport growing at a very young age, Chin went on to play soccer at Oviedo High School, which resulted in him playing college soccer at Rollins College in Winter Park. A brief stint with the Central Florida Kraze, now the Orlando City U-23, brought his name to many Orlando City Lions supporters.

During an Orlando City home game against Pittsburgh, Chinny entered as a substitute for Max Griffin in the 46th minute. His second half performance sparked a late rally to win the game 3-2 in the last ten minutes.

It all started when he opened up the scoring in the 68th minute, and with the speed he possesses, Chin has shown he can break down defenses this season.

“He’s making it more and more difficult for me to not start him,” said Heath on Chinny’s overall performance after the nail-biting Pittsburgh win.

His chemistry with center midfielder Kevin Molino has shown great results as well. “We’ve played together for two years, so I know what his movements area,” said Molino.

Even despite being being knocked out of the Open Cup against MLS Sporting KC, both Molino and Chin showed what they are capable of. “I was excited to play [Sporting KC], and their fans kind of remind me of ours, they’re very upbeat.”

Both Chin and Molino displayed potential at a very high level, which showed that Molino was able to develop concise passes through Sporting KC’s defenses, and Dennis had several chances to increase the lead despite not being able to capitalize on them in the final third.

“Chinny is still coming to terms,” says Heath on Chin’s development as a player. “He’s starting to understand where he should be, when he should run, the speed he should run, and how to start taking it to the next level.”

Clinching four goals in ten appearances, Chin has seen playing time in all regular season games, yet he’s only featured in the starting IX four times. Coach Heath has used him for the most part of the season as a sub, which has shown impressive results.

“I have a lot to show and a lot to prove still,” says Chin on his form.

Orlando City hosts the Charleston Battery on Saturday, June 9 at the Florida Citrus Bowl, which will be a pivotal league match to determine who remains at the top of the USL Pro table.