Rain, lightning delay game 1

Game one of the UCF-Rice series has been postponed until Friday afternoon, as extreme lightning hindered the two teams from continuing past the fifth inning.

The Knights took an 8-0 lead into the fifth before the Owls pushed across three runs just before play stopped for the night. With two outs and two runners on base for the Owls, play will resume Friday at 3 p.m.

UCF exploded for five runs in the third inning, as the Knights sent 10 batters to the plate in the frame. Darnell Sweeney opened up the scoring with a bases loaded 2-run double, which was followed by a Chris Taladay 2-run single.

Rice pitcher Matthew Reckling, one of the best pitchers in C-USA, was rocked in the third inning as he allowed seven consecutive Knights to reach base. He is currently on the hook for a loss.

LHP Chris Matulis started the game strong for UCF. Until he got himself into trouble in the fifth, Matulis only allowed one hit in the first four innings. He was relieved by Bryan Brown in the fifth after allowing three runs. Brown is not expected to continue pitching when the game is resumed tomorrow.

The re-scheduled first pitch is Friday at 3 p.m. and the game will resume with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Game two is expected to start an hour after the conclusion of game one.