New Smyrna Beach celebrates 125 years

New Smyrna Beach will be commemorating the city’s 125th anniversary with three days of community activities and celebrations in June. The event, occurring between June 8 and 10, will be hosted in the NSB Waterfront LOOP and feature activities ranging from dances to firework displays.

“New Smyrna Beach is not just a city,” said Holly Smith, a marketing consultant for the city, “it’s truly a community. People who live (and visit) love our old-Florida, hometown charm. This weekend of events will highlight that charm.”

Originally named “New Smyrna” and incorporated on June 6, 1887, the first city had a population of 550 residents. The community came into its own 60 years later after merging with the coastal area of Coronado Beach, which made it a waterfront locale, and today the city is home to 22,000 Floridians.

The anniversary celebration is to “honor the past, preserve the present and look forward to the future” of New Smyrna Beach, according to Smith, who also said that many in the community feel they are the oldest settlement in the U.S., even older than St. Augustine.

Festivities commence on Friday, June 8 with a 5:30 p.m. time capsule dedication at city hall, followed by 6 p.m. historical tours at the Museum of History and Mary S. Harrell Black Heritage Museum.

Saturday, June 9, will feature period arts and crafts at both the Harris House and the Arts on Douglas galleries, a children’s fishing tournament, a Firecracker four-mile run, family games in Riverside Park and a 5 p.m. food truck bazaar.

Saturday night will be capped off by a street dance in front of the Chamber of Commerce and a 9 p.m. firework display over the water in Riverside Park.

The final day will consist of Sunday community worship services called “Love in the Park,” also held at Riverside Park.

“As of now there are seven local churches involved,” said Elizabeth Yancey, the New Smyrna Beach Parks and Recreations Director.

A list of the events can be viewed at www.nsbwaterfrontloop.com/index.php/events.

Times are subject to change. To confirm scheduling and for more information, the New Smyrna Beach Parks and Recreations Department can be reached at 386-424-2175.