Series slips away from Orlando

The Orlando Magic overcame a 19-point deficit to force overtime Saturday in Orlando, before falling short once again to the Indiana Pacers, 101-99 in game four of their Eastern Conference matchup.

Indiana guard George Hill hit a pair of free throws with 2.2 seconds left in overtime to put the Pacers up by two points off a questionable foul called on Jameer Nelson.

The Magic had their chances to respond in the closing seconds of the game, but Glenn Davis’ eight foot jumper bounced off the front of the rim. Orlando takes its third loss of the series giving Indiana a chance to close the series out Tuesday in Indianapolis.

“With 2.2 seconds left the way they were switching everything and with their size I mean I don’t know on the last shot. It’s an eight foot shot for the guy who was our leading scorer in the game against a smaller guy I thought it was a pretty good shot for 2.2 seconds but I mean nothing is good if it doesn’t work,” said Magic coach Stan Van Gundy after the game. “I’m the one who draw up the plays so if it doesn’t work it’s on me”.

“Yeah, it’s a good place to be,” said Indiana coach Frank Vogel. “We feel like we can get a win on our home court. It’s tough to get a road win anywhere against anyone in the playoffs. To come in here in a tough environment and get two, it just speaks volumes of our guys’ resiliency.”

Indiana Pacer Forward David West was the difference maker on Saturday as he dominated the Magic frontline, scoring 26 points on 11-23 shooting and pulling down 12 rebounds. Danny Granger also added 21 points to help Indiana.

The Magic were once again led by the hybrid center/forward Glenn Davis who had 24 points and 11 rebounds (five on offense). Davis, who is quite undersized for the center position, out played Indiana’s 7’2 center Roy Hibbert giving him trouble all throughout the game which he eventually fouled out of.

“Almost doesn’t count,” said Davis after the game. “It was our backs against the wall out there and we fought really extremely hard. That’s playoff basketball.”

Jason Richardson also played a big game for the Magic, scoring 25 points which included four 3-pointers. Jameer Nelson, JJ Redick, Hedo Turkoglu, and Ryan Anderson all also scored in double figures for Orlando.

Anderson, the Magic’s starting power forward, was also awarded the 2012 NBA’s most improved player prior to tip off. Anderson led the league in 3-pointers made and upped his scoring and rebounding by a great deal from last year, both are career highs for him this year. He is the fifth Orlando Magic player to when the award in the team’s history.

With the victory for Indiana, the Pacers now take a commanding 3-1 lead in a best of seven series, and look to close out the Magic on their home court Tuesday night. The Magic, who very much still believe they are in this especially after overcoming a 19 point deficit in game four, will look to change that. Game five tipoff is set to be at 7pm in Indianapolis Tuesday.