Richardson plays hero as Knights beat Hattters

DeLand, FLa. — Ronnie Richardson came up clutch with a game winning home run in the 13th inning as the Knights beat in-state rival Stetson, 5-4 Wednesday night.

“It was a great team win. Guys were picking themselves up all night. We had some opportunities and when we didn’t do it the next guy did it,” said head coach Terry Rooney.

Richardson (1-for-5, 1 RBI) explains his thoughts before the ball left the ballpark, “It (home run) felt real good. I thought it was going to hit off the fence.”

Travis Shreve (2-for-5, 1 RBI) was shaken up after scoring a run during the 10th inning. Stetson coach Pete Dunn challenged the umpire’s call on the run. Dunn’s actions escalated until he was ejected from the game. In the same inning Stetson answered back by scoring a run and tying up the game for a third time.

The pace of the game was set in the first inning when the Hatters were the first to score, but the Knights answered back in the inning that followed. UCF went on to score a couple of runs in the sixth and seventh inning. UCF led the game until the seventh inning when Stetson scored two runs tying up the game 3-3. The score would remain the same until the 10th inning.

Starting pitcher Ray Hanson struck out five Hatters and allowed three runs, three walks, and six hits in the 6.1 innings he pitched. RHP Roman Madrid relieved Hanson. Madrid pitched for 1.2 innings allowed two hits and no runs.

LHP Joe Rogers took over for Madrid in the ninth inning. In the two innings Rogers pitched he struck out four Hatters and forced Stetson to leave several runners on bases. Rogers’ performance helped the Knights extend the game into extra innings, giving the team hope for a win.

In the 2012 season most of the Knights’ bullpen has mainly relied on Madrid and Rogers to pick up the slack but on Wednesday Bryan Brown was the one picking up the slack for the Knights. Brown earned his second win of the season after successfully pitching the last three extra innings.

“He (Bryan Brown) picked our team up and put up all those zeros. He did an awesome job. It was his best outing of the year,” said head coach Terry Rooney.

UCF will host Stetson May 15 at 6:30 p.m. to finish up their season series.