UCF Knights crush FAMU Rattles; explode for 16 runs

UCF exploded in the seventh inning for eight runs, giving the Knights a 16-3 lead that FAMU couldn’t overcome. The final scores was was 16-4 as the Knights blasted a season high 20 hits and 16 runs during Tuesday’s game at Jay Bergman Field.

Due to travel issues the game was delayed an hour and 15 minutes but that did not affect the Knights.

“From the top to the middle of our line up did a nice job,” said head coach Terry Rooney. “There were those quality at bats that kept us moving and getting us through.”

Every starter had at least one hit. “We got the opportunity to get a lot of different guys in there tonight. Which is good,” said Rooney after the game.

Spencer Haynes, Tommy Williams, Alex Friedrich, Chris Taladay, D.J. Hicks, and Ronnie Richardson each had a double. UCF right fielder Alex Friedrich (2-for-5, 1 RBI) led the fifth inning with his 13th double of the season.

“Every opportunity we get you know us guys have to get hits make plays,” said Haynes (4-for-5, 1 RBI) after the game.

National RBI leader, Hicks (2-for-3, 2 RBI) didn’t start at first baseman instead he started as designated hitter. Hicks improved his season RBI to 48 during Tuesday’s game.

Junior Darnell Sweeney did not start for the first time in his career ending a 150 straight game start streak.

Rooney decided to give some of the starting line up a rest by substituting Tommy Williams for shortstop Sweeney and Taladay stepped in for catcher Ryan Breen.

“It was nothing to it, I just felt we need those guys give a little bit of a break,” explained Rooney.

Richardson was hit for the 21st time this season ranking him second nationally in the category.

Starting pitcher Matt Collins allowed one hit and struck out four Rattlers in the four innings he pitched.

Ben Lively who relieved Collins allowed no hits, one walk and struck out six Rattlers. This would be Lively’s fifth win of 2012.

“I thought Ben Lively did a nice job and another good job out of the bullpen,” said Rooney.

Harrison Hukari and Greg Cooke pitched the eighth and ninth innings of the game allowing a combined four hits and one run.

No. 13 UCF (27-7) will host Bethune Cookman (20-13) for the second mid-week game Wednesday evening at 6:30 p.m.