Al Sharpton Hosts Rally for Trayvon Martin in Sanford

“No justice, no peace,” was the chant everyone kept saying at the Trayvon Martin rally at Fort Mellon Park in Sanford, Fla. on Thursday night. The rally was organized by Rev. Al Sharpton, which some might know from MSNBC’s talk show “Politics Nation.”

Martin, 17, was shot and killed on Feb. 26 by George Zimmerman, 28, who claims to have acted under the “Stand-Your-Ground” law. The police have not made any charges since the death of Trayvon Martin that it was legal for him to protect himself under the “Stand-Your-Ground” law. Many people; however, feel differently about the story, which is why the rally in Sanford was held.

The rally was organized in order for the people to demand Zimmerman’s arrest, which resulted in thousands of people, young and old, from all over Florida and around the country to attend and unite for this cause. Activists like Reginald Muhammad, from “The Final Call” newspaper, came down from Atlanta, GA, to support Trayvon Martin’s parents.

“We stand for freedom, justice, and equality,” says Muhammad. “Our paper is the widest circulated black news around the world and has been around for 82 years.” Muhammad was passing out “The Final Call” for a dollar donation from the people at the rally.

Men and women at the rally were wearing t-shirts saying “I am Trayvon Martin” with posters that had skittles and carrying Arizona iced tea cans, which were the last things that Trayvon Martin had in his possession. People showed up hours before the official rally began, selling t-shirts and passing out flyers, while the anchors from every news channel set up to start filming.

At 6:45 p.m., the people quieted down as a prayer was started and at 7:00 p.m., the speakers entered the stage. Speakers like Corrine Brown, who is a member of congress of the third district in Florida, along with Martin Luther King III, radio show host Michael Baisden, Sanford’s mayor Jeff Triplett, and many others were there as well.

“I want an arrest,” said congresswoman, Corrine Brown. “Because the system has not treated us fairly.”

Brown fully supported the necessary arrest of someone, preferably Zimmerman. She wanted the voice of Florida to be heard about the case and to help the family of Trayvon Martin achieve justice.

“It’s not about who’s black or white,” said Baisden. “It’s about what’s wrong.”

As Rev. Sharpton arrived on the stage, the crowd cheered and awaited his words, which started with leading the group of people in prayer and then his speech, like many of the other speakers.

“Trayvon could have been any one of us,” said Sharpton. “Trayvon symbolizes a reckless disregard for our lives. Zimmerman should have been arrested that night.”

Finally, Trayvon Martin’s parents arrived on the stage, almost in tears, and thanked the crowd of people who were there to support them and their son.

“You guys are what keep us going,” said Tracy Martin, Trayvon Martin’s father. “I pledge I will not let my son die in vain.”