Magic roll passed Suns; Anderson drills seven treys

ORLANDO, Fla. – Ryan Anderson made seven 3- pointers and scored 29 points as he lead the Orlando Magic over the Phoenix Suns 103-93, Wednesday night at the Amway Center, two days after their worst offensive output of the season.

The Magic had the Suns playing catch up all night, as they won every quarter during this inter-conference matchup. Dwight Howard added 28 points and 16 rebounds to assist to his team’s victory.

“Tonight was a night where we could move the ball and set some screens and just be more active,” said magic forward Anderson. “It’s something we need to do more often, we just need to come out the gate, have a ton of energy, and have a bunch of guys get open shots.”

Aside from the magic starters, two bench players stepped up in Wednesday’s game. Both Glen Davis and J.J. Redick scored in double digits.

“It takes time in general to get used to a system, for Glen, I’m happy he’s having a good time and playing hard,” said Anderson. “I hope this is something that sparks in him, and this is how he can play and we know that.”

Despite having a good night moving the ball, the Magic continue to turnover the ball as they had 17 turnovers.

In the previous three games the Magic have committed 59 turnovers, but only had six in the first half.

This allowed the Suns to make a 15-4 run with less than five minutes left in the fourth quarter cutting the score to 96-85. But a drive by Nelson, and Anderson’s final 3-pointer helped close things out.

The Magic’s defensive effort also helped shut down the Suns offensive pick and roll game.

“We defended Marcin Gortat’s offense very well, and that was more of a team thing because Marcin’s game is picking rolls with Nash,” said magic head coach Stan Van Gundy. “We made a real concerted effort to take that roll to the rim away”

Steve Nash was held to two assists throughout the whole game, and Gortat only had four points.

Jared Dudley led Phoenix with 17 points and Robin Lopez added 14 points and eight rebounds.

Both teams will be on the road for their next game, as Phoenix plays at Indiana, and Orlando heads to Cleveland.

“We limited their 3’s and took away their roll to the rim, and I thought for three quarters I guys really really tried,” said Van Gundy.