Knights win first game of double header

D.J. Hicks’ two-run double in the second inning, proved to be all the University of Central Florida needed, as the Knights beat LIU-Brooklyn 9-1.Hicks had three RBIs on three hits in four at-bats.Sophomore pitcher, Ben Lively, threw five strong innings, and only allowed one run on three hits.

Lively allowed the lead-off hitter to reach base three times, but managed to work his way out of jams unscathed, in all but the fourth inning.

A pair of UCF pitchers made their college debuts Saturday afternoon, as Eric Skoglund and Garrett Nuss each threw two innings to finish out the game.

Right fielder Alex Friedrich went three for four with two doubles and a triple, and scored three runs.

Leadoff hitter Darnell Sweeney ripped a triple down the right field line on the first pitch of the game, and was later driven in by Ronnie Richardson, who already has six RBIs this season.

One dark spot, on a relatively flawless afternoon for the Knights, was their base running.   With bases loaded in the first, Nick Carillo hit into a rare 1-2-5 double play, due to a base running blunder by Chris Taladay, who rounded third a little too hard.

UCF was also unsuccessful when it came to base stealing. They failed at both attempts Saturday afternoon, which drops them to three for eight on the season.

In order to avoid the rain on Sunday, these two teams will play a double header Saturday. The Knights will go for the sweep in game two, which is scheduled to begin an hour after the final out of game one.

Starting pitcher Chris Matulis will be making his UCF debut in game two. Matulis was drafted in the 29th round of the 2011 MLB Draft by the St. Louis Cardinals.