This poll has ended.

Will You Be On Vacation Or Working For Spring Break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

SGA welcomes students back

Valencia College Student Government Association (SGA) hosted a “Welcome Back” meet and greet for new and returning students at the Winter Park campus on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at 11 a.m.

The SGA offered free coffee and school supplies to any student who passed by SGA President Scott Schaare, along with Bryan Vick, the Senator of Legislative Affairs for the SGA in the Winter Park campus, were there to greet students and offer them coffee as they headed to their classes.

Next to the SGA counter was the career center booth, where Cheryl Miller, the career adviser at Winter Park, shared information on what classes to sign up for and how to pick the right career choice.

“Students need to use Atlas as a tool,” Miller said when asked what she thought was most important for new and returning students to know.

Many students do not use Atlas to its full potential. Atlas is not only for student email, but it is also a tool to help students plan the route to graduation. There are many students on campus who are not aware that the Career Center can help them choose what career path they would like to pursue. The Career Center is out there to help students become more informed.

Julian Duncan, a math tutor at the Winter Park campus, greeted students as well. “Winter Park campus is the best Valencia campus,” Duncan said. The Winter Park campus has been growing in size each semester and continues to show potential to grow.

Winter Park was not the only campus to welcome back students; each Valencia campus had their own Welcome Back service at the beginning of the school week. West campus celebrated students coming back on Friday, Jan. 13, with a barbecue lunch, create-your-own bumper stickers, and body art. East campus celebrated students coming back on Jan. 11 and 12 with a cappuccino cart, live music, and refreshments.