Valencia Honored Black History In February

Online Event Lyric Lounge Celebrated Inclusion, Awareness

On February 21, Valencia African Heritage Association hosted VAHA’s Lyric Lounge for Black History Month. 

This online event was about students and faculty from Valencia sharing their poetry they wrote themselves and by their favorite African American poet. Librarian Nardia Cumberbatch stated that “VAHA’s mission is to celebrate and foster the inclusion of cultural and educational awareness of the African diaspora at Valencia College.” During this event, Cumberbatch shared her favorite poem by Jamaican poet and Hon. Dr. of Letters Louise “Miss Lou” Bennet-Coverley called “Bun & Cheese.”

The event was also hosted by West Campus Provost Dr. Danny Hoey who shared a poem he wrote called “Ode to Black History Month.” Hoey explained, “It’s very exciting to be able to have your own voice”. Many more students and faculty shared their poems they wrote or the ones they loved from their favorite African American poet. This gives people a chance to express how they feel about Black History and their own particular history as well. 

English Professor Danielle Strong- Robinson Smith explains that Black history is important to her because of “the variety of experiences we share. The way art uplifts, connects, and makes you feel a plethora of emotions.”

Cumberbatch feels as though it is an opportunity to explore underrated or unexplored Black people, and what they have done over the years. That is also what the Valencia African Heritage Association is about. To explore and promote African heritage, culture, and diversity. 

Unfortunately, this was the last Black History Month event from the Valencia African Heritage Association. If anyone missed out, there will be future events for women’s month. However, there were other  Black History Month events throughout February from host organizations such as East Campus Book Nerds, Student Development, and African American Cultural Society, or A2CS.

On February 28 at 11:30 AM at the East Campus in the Mall Area, students and faculty could attend “Honoring Our Past and Shaping Our Future” hosted by A2Cs. The event welcomed people from different cultures to experience artifacts from African Americans, learn more about famous African Americans, and there will be food and music.

Ladajah Newbold, 19, Biology, stated, “ I like the food, and the music is good.” She expressed that she loves Black History because “we’ve made it very far.” Junior Joseph, 23, Political Science, loved the vibe of the event, dancing and having a good time.

Junior Joseph, 23, Political Science, enjoyed the vibe and dancing at the February 28 “Honoring Our Past and Shaping The Future” event hosted by A2CS on East Campus. (He’ven Patterson)

March is Women’s History Month. On March 27, there will be an A2CS “Beautiful and Bold” women’s panel at the East Campus to celebrate Women’s History. 

For more information about the event and to RSVP, click here.

A2CS and Active Minds will host “Beautiful and Bold” on March 27. RSVP is encouraged and all are welcomed to attend. Courtesy: (A2CS)