Dr. Phillips Center For The Performing Arts: Transforming Orlando’s Cultural Landscape

Since its grand opening in 2014, the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts has become a point for diverse, artistic expression in the Orlando area. From ballet to Broadway shows, comedy acts to kid-friendly events, educational programs to outdoor festivals, the Dr. Phillips Center offers a wide range of experiences for everyone.

The Center not only hosts various performances but also embraces a purpose beyond entertainment. The structure, both inside and outside, is intentionally designed to provide a welcoming space.

Rachel Moalli, Corporate Affairs Director at the Dr. Phillips Center, emphasizes that, unlike other theaters, ”Everything is leveled out to the street level, and that’s really to take away the image or the perception that art centers are elite” Additionally, Moalli explains that the front door is usually open entirely to allow everyone to come in together.

Corporate Affairs Director Rachel Moalli emphasizes that, unlike other theaters, ”Everything is leveled out to the street level, and that’s really to take away the image of the or the perception that art centers are elite.” View of entrance to Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. (Oriana Torre)

In line with their goal of welcoming everyone, college students are included in this purpose. The Valencia College Seneff Honors program recently took a group of students on a tour of the center, as well as to plays and presentations. Psychology student Hennys Torrealba is a Seneff Honors member and emphasizes the importance of getting involved in the arts including knowing about the programs the Dr. Phillips Center offers.

During the tour, Torrealba’s favorite part was seeing the backstage of the theater and the Walt Disney Theater. Torrealba attended the tour and the musical “Annie” with the honors program. She expressed a change in her perspective after the tour by realizing the center’s purpose of being welcoming and inclusive through these initiatives.

Steinmetz Hall. According to Dr. Phillips Center, “one of the world’s most acoustically perfect spaces.”
Courtesy of Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts.

Steinmetz Hall, one of the most recent additions, showcases significant innovation. According to the Center, it’s one of the very few theaters globally that can transform in shape, seating, and sound to accommodate a variety of performances and events. With copper detailing throughout, a transformable space for the orchestra, and near perfect sound, this space is among the most admirable in the Center.

Jadia Erskine, Advertising and Public Relations, expressed that her favorite part of the tour was Steinmetz Hall due to the significance of the copper in the theater and transformative stage.

“I’m not from Orlando, and I have always heard of the Dr. Phillips Center as a place that is, like… kind of for higher-class people,” said Erskine. However, she was surprised after hearing the story and learning about the center’s purpose and all the impact they have on the community.

According to Moalli, there are special considerations for students to get involved. Student Rush tickets for certain shows are usually available on the day of the show. With 500 shows, the center aims to attract more young people by encouraging them to experience it.

The Dr. Phillips Center also features other theaters, with the largest venue being the Walt Disney Theater. A more personal and smaller Alexis & Jim Pugh Theater hosts beautiful art on the ceiling and names on the chairs. Additional spaces like the outdoor Seneff Arts Plaza hold festivals, fairs, and concerts. This performing arts center is more than just a beautiful design; it offers a taste of technology and luxury with a purposeful, diverse, and inclusive experience for all to enjoy during their many events and performances.

For calendar of events, ticketing and more, visit the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts website.

View Comments (1)