Business Student Uses New Education To Sell Abstracts, Sharks Art

Every Sunday, Lake Eola hosts the Orlando Farmers Market where Valencia College student Jason Hoogvorst sells his abstract and shark art pieces. Jason is in his second year attending Valencia College, majoring in Business Management, and plans on graduating in Spring 2025. After graduating from Valencia and receiving his associate degree, Jason plans to attend UCF to complete his bachelor’s degree in Business Management.

Jason Hoogvorst presenting his shark and abstract artwork at the Orlando Farmers Market on Lake Eola. (Victoria Garcia-Morales)

Hoogvorst incorporates what he has learned in the small business course he has taken with Professor Dr. Robert Miner for what he has accomplished now, which is selling his pieces at Lake Eola’s Orlando Farmers Market. Dr. Miner knew the potential he had as an artist and assisted him with information on how to sell his products at local events. Instructors at Valencia College are not only providing students with the knowledge to be successful, but they are also giving them ideas on how to make their goals and aspirations a reality. Jason stated, “It is important to hammer it down, to show up to the farmers market, make an effort to sell artwork and receive exposure.”

Hoogvorst wakes up every Sunday at 5:30 a.m. to load the car with all of his art products he will be selling at the market and arrives at 8:00 a.m. to set up his booth. For an individual to achieve their ambitions, they must put in the work and have the drive to make their dreams a reality. Jason intertwines both the knowledge of what he has been receiving at Valencia as a Business major to enhance what he wants to accomplish with his artwork. Jason’s ambition is to eventually take on International Business. Jason would like to see his artwork presented worldwide; he already has pieces that have been sold in Puerto Rico, Canada, Malta, Holland, and one piece in Australia.

He would also like his designs presented at music festivals, museums, galleries, art walks and art shows, “I would like my work to make an appearance at art auctions for charity events. Especially around
Christmas time,” Hoogvorst said. Growing up, Hoogvorst had an interest in music where he
learned how to play the piano, he then had an artist awakening in 2019. He began drawing on
sketch pads, painting on canvas, and decided to create abstract artwork, and shark paintings.
“Sharks are my favorite animal, they symbolize freedom, and something about them just makes
sense,” Hoogvorst said.

Canvas shark and abstract prints. 8×8 inches are each sold at $20 or two canvas prints for $30. (Victoria Garcia-Morales)

Creating artwork is a positive and healthy craft for individuals to find new coping mechanisms and have a sense of originality within their pieces, pain is one of the drives that he has while making his unique art. He also receives daily inspiration from what is in his environment, such as color schemes he can use for his paintings on canvas, or to develop a new artistic idea he has for other projects. It takes him about a day to finish a piece, depending on the style and size. The longest time to complete a design took two months which
was a 30-inch by 40-inch abstract canvas painting.

When asking about Hoogvorst’s favorite artist, he answered, “Myself. I am confident in my work, and the impact it can have on others.” Other than selling shark pieces and canvas prints, Jason designs original tote bags, t- shirts, lighters, coffee mugs, and small desk frames. Jason enjoys creating his artwork and sharing it with the public, he gets up every day and does what he loves. When asking Jason about advice he would give to an aspiring artist, he stated, “Surround yourself with creative people, and continue to just build on life.” It is important for individuals to wake up and understand what they want out of life, so they can enjoy all the wonders that life has to offer.

Hoogvorst art can be seen on more than just canvas. Original shark designs can be found on materials such as this frame and coffee mug. (Victoria Garcia-Morales)

Hoogvorst’s artwork can be purchased on his website www.jasonhoogvorst.com, or can be found on Instagram.

View Comments (8)