Tennis Legend Serena Williams Retires After 2022 US Open

Diego J. Ortiz, Sports Reporter

“Serena Williams”. (PC: mirsasha via Flikr)

Serena Williams, 40, retired after a 27-year career in professional tennis. Williams competed in her final US Open tournament at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City. Playing in three rounds, Williams lost on September 2 to Australian star Ajla Tomljanović 7-5, 6-7 (7-4), 6-1. In a cover story interview with Vogue magazine, Williams shared her plans to move on from tennis and focus on other things, such as her family with husband Alexis Ohanian, who share a daughter together.

Williams went professional in 1995 at a very young age, winning her first US Open at just 17 years old. In nearly 3 decades, she won 23 Grand Slam singles titles, the most by any player in the Open era. Serena holds the most combined major titles in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles among active players, with 23 in singles, 14 in women’s doubles, and two in mixed doubles, all for a total of 39 (a tennis record).

Serena is more than just a tennis icon. She’s a household name, known globally.

General Studies major, Jeremy Torres, 19, said that Serena is one of his favorite athletes of all time. “She changed the game and that’s why she is the best”, Torres said.

Valencia students were asked what they thought about the legendary Serena Williams and her cultural impact. 

Valencia student Alex Ross said “Serena Williams is an inspiration to both men and women. She inspires the whole world”. Ross is a nursing major who used to play tennis during his childhood. He marked Roger Federer and Serena Williams as his favorites. 

It is clear that William’s father, Richard, had a great impact on her success. Richard was the one who introduced Serena and Venus to tennis. The 2021 movie “King Richard” is a 2021 American biographical sports drama film directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green and written by Zach Baylin. The movie serves as an origin story. It tells all that Serena went through before turning professional. The Oscar-winning film is a great depiction of what the women went through to obtain their great success.

To cap it all off, Williams broke one last record for viewership on ESPN. Nearly 4.6 million viewers tuned in to see her heartbreaking final match against Tomljanović. ESPN stated that the number peaked at 6.9 million at one point during the match.

After her final US Open set, Williams had this to say: 

“Thank you so much, you guys were amazing today. I wish I played a little bit better. Thank you, Daddy, I know you’re watching. Thanks, Mom. I just thank everyone that’s here, that’s been on my side so many years, decades. Oh my gosh, literally decades. But it all started with my parents, and they deserve everything, so I’m really grateful for them.” She thanked her sister, fellow tennis player Venus Williams, stating: “I wouldn’t be Serena if there wasn’t Venus.” 

Williams inspired many to chase their dreams. It wasn’t easy for her to get to the top, this being the reason she is called by many the “G.O.A.T” or greatest of all time. Williams celebrates an outstanding career with not just fans, but all those who appreciate the sport of tennis.