Valencia College Changes Mask Protocols

Sign+of+the+new+recommendation+Mask+Welcomed.+

Sign of the new recommendation “Mask Welcomed”.

Josselyn Osorio, Reporter

After more than two years of a worldwide pandemic, Valencia College is preparing to change COVID-19 mask requirements on campus.

On Saturday, April 2, 2022, Valencia College changed the mask protocol from “Masks Expected” to “Masks Welcome” on all campuses. Masks will continue to be available in the Campus Security offices and classrooms for employees and students.

Valencia College has been following the CDC’s COVID transmission tracker, which reflects the area’s transmission rate. As rates have been low for more than 30 days, Valencia has decided to begin lifting restrictions, according to Valencia College Vice President, Institutional Planning and Development, and Chief of Staff Amy Bosley.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) current policy states, “People may choose to mask at any time. People with symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should wear a mask. Masks are required on public transportation and may be required in other places by local or state authorities.”

In addition, in a letter to staff, Bosley said, “We will add additional in-person classes during our summer term as we ramp up for fall, and on-site classes will return to regular capacity in the Fall 2022 semester.”

Bosley continued, “Starting on Sunday, May 1, 2022, operations will return to pre-pandemic conditions, including the COVID-19 Case Management team will cease operations, including illness reporting and contact tracing. COVID will be handled as other illnesses, such as the flu, where employees report their illness to their supervisor and are encouraged to stay home if feeling ill.”

Many students agree with Valencia’s decision. General Studies major Jennifer Mendez, 21, was unaware of the policy update. She said, “I’m glad the masks are going to be optional. They stress me out and distract me in class. Students should feel comfortable in school with or without a mask.”

Giancarlo Mejias, 25, Valencia Respiratory Care student believes it’s okay to make masks optional. “I think considering the consensus of COVID cases is relatively low, it should be safe and people should have the option to wear a mask if they want to,” Mejias stated.

The new Valencia College mask protocol goes into effect this weekend.