FallOh Your Path, 6-Week Virtual Fitness Challenge Launched by Student Development

+Dayane+Villatoro+greeting+an+emotional+support+dog+during+FallOh+Your+Path%E2%80%99s+2019+stress+relief+event.+%0A

Dayane Villatoro

Dayane Villatoro greeting an emotional support dog during FallOh Your Path’s 2019 stress relief event.

Taylor Graham, Reporter

In this spring semester, the FallOh Your Path Student Development program partnered with UFit, creating a six-week virtual fitness challenge. Students, teachers and staff from Valencia are participating in the program. The first 100 students who signed up received the “New Year, New Opportunity” award at the end of the challenge.

“UFit aims to uphold the health and wellness standards of Valencia by providing a variety of free activities, ranging from educational skill shops, interactive athletic classes, and recreational sports leagues,” stated Guadalupe Navarro, a specialist and UFit supervisor for Student Development.

Due to Valencia’s campus closures, the program has gone virtual. Each week, Valencia students and staff follow a regular schedule. It kicks off with “Training Tips Tuesday,” where health and wellness related tips are shared over Instagram. On Wednesdays, Student Development uploads a workout video instructed by a personal trainer to their Discord and YouTube channel. A recap video is then shared on Fridays, showing how students engaged in different activities throughout the week.

“In this virtual environment, we’re trying to sustain the same purpose of health and wellness and get students and faculty to be involved and aware of the importance of wellness in a wholelistc perspective,” continued Navarro

Student leader Dayane Villatoro, 20, assisted in the planning of this event. She also decided to participate as a part of her New Year’s resolution. Through this fitness challenge, she hopes to improve her mental and physical health. “I look forward to it every day. It helps me connect with other Valencia students who are also participating in the challenge,” said the engineering major.

Throughout this semester, FallOh Your Path will have several events on social networks. One being a healthy Valencian contest, which was launched on February 15th. The students were invited to share a video of their self-care routine, using #ufithealthyvalencians to compete for an award.

Registrations closed on February 12. The challenge ends on March 2. Each minute of activity will count one point. There are three different levels to strive during the program: Campus Champiom 100 – 599 points; Dean’s Dash 600 – 899 points; Campus Champion 900 + points. Each level will unlock a new swag item at the end of the challenge.