Author DaMaris Hill to Visit Valencia’s East Campus

Valencia College

Hill will visit Valencia College on November 19.

Mickenzie Hannon, News Reporter

Award-winning author DaMaris B. Hill will visit and read from her novels at Valencia College’s East Campus in Building 8, Room 101 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on November 19.

Hill is the author of A Bound Woman Is a Dangerous Thing, The Fluid Boundaries of Suffrage, Jim Crow: Staking Claims in the American Heartland and chapbook of poems \ Vi-zə-bəl \ \ Teks-chərs \ (Visible Textures). Hill also earned Ph.D.s in English, Creative Writing and Women and Gender Studies from the University of Kansas. She won the 2003 Hurston/Richard Wright Award for Short Fiction, and her work was listed as the Publishers Weekly Top 10 History Title, Booklist’s Top 10 Diverse Nonfiction titles and the BookRiot’s “50 Must-Read” Poetry Collection.

Professor Tamara Madison teaches English and Creative writing at Valencia College, and she is a big fan of Hill.

“I think DaMaris B. Hill is an inspiration for anyone interested in feminism who supports the success and goals of other women,” Professor Madison said.

Madison said A Bound Woman Is a Dangerous Thing “combines the creative and the historical and connects to those interested in feminism, history, politics, sociology, and creative writing.”

Valencia’s literary events are free to attend and refreshments are provided. This is the last visiting author event that Valencia’s East Campus is hosting for the fall semester.

This story has been updated with quotes from Professor Madison.